Does anything beat macaroni and cheese? I grew up eating the blue box but discovered homemade mac and Cheese as I got older. While it’s a bit more work, the taste is much better!
(I have included affiliate links to products I love. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.) In addition, this post contains affiliate links that will make me a small commission when used to order online.
Now, one thing I have learned since discovering homemade macaroni and cheese is that you can’t mess it up. Don’t be afraid to change out for different cheeses and add ingredients and spices. As long as you keep the basics down, it works.
Ingredients For Mac and Cheese
- Milk– You can use heavy whipping cream instead of the milk in this recipe.
- Cream Cheese– This will be cubed; I let mine set out to soften.
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Mexican Three Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- White Cheddar Cheese
How To Make Baked Homemade Mac and Cheese
Start by preheating your oven to 300 degrees.
Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil.
Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the box.
Cube your cream cheese; the smaller pieces will melt faster.
In two mixing bowls, shred and split your cheese in half.
I like to use bricks of cheese; in a pinch, you can use all shredded store-bought cheese. Instead of making my Mexican blend, I used the thicker store-bought shredded cheese.
Drain the pasta when done cooking, and leave it in the strainer. The pot will be used in the next step.
In the pot, melt your butter and then whisk the four into the melted butter.
Allow the flour and butter to cook until it is a thick mixture. This happens fast, so keep an eye on it.
Next, whisk in the milk and bring the mixture to a boil.
Be sure to allow the milk mixture to cook for about five more minutes until it is thick.
Turn off the heat and carefully drop the cubed cream cheese.
Next, stir in the salt and pepper with the cream cheese until all is melted in the milk mixture.
Slowly mix one bowl of the shredded cheese into the cream sauce in the pot.
Next, add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce mixture and still until the cheese has melted.
Spray an aluminum 9 X 13 pan with a nonstick spray or baking pan. I like using disposable aluminum pans because the cooked cheese can be rough to clean off a pan.
Spread the cheesy pasta into the sprayed pan.
Top the noodles with the remaining shredded cheese and spread the cheese out onto the top of the pasta. You may end up with extra cheese if you have added other things to the macaroni and cheese.
Place in oven and cook for about an hour; the cheese will be bubbly.
Serve and enjoy!
What to Serve With Homemade Macaroni And Cheese
Side Dishes: Air Fryer Bacon Asparagus, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes, Air Fryer Brussell Sprouts, Green Beans, Ceasar Salad, Acorn Squash, Green Salad, Baked Sweet Potatoes, Air Fryer Broccoli, Grilled Zucchini, Grilled Corn On The Cob, Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
How To Store Leftover Mac
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You also freeze leftover macaroni and cheese. Allow the macaroni and cheese to be completely cooled; if you freeze it while hot, it will be mush. Store in air-tight bags or containers in the freezer for up to 90 days.
Storing leftovers properly requires the right tools! My preferred storage method is if the leftovers can be sealed in a food saver. If not, then an air-tight container or Ziploc bag for the fridge is the way I go. The air-tight container and a freezer Ziploc bag are the next best bet for freezing the leftovers. I also use a food scale to measure portions into serving sizes.
can you freeze mac and cheese in aluminum pan?
While this isn’t my favorite way, you can; I put a layer of Sryan wrap before sealing it up with tin foil. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. The cheese may separate a bit so be sure to mix well before heating nd while reheating.
How To Reheat Mac And Cheese
When heating in the microwave, stir often; if it seems to dry out, you may need to add some milk. I put a damp paper towel over mine when I am microwaving it.
The best way, honestly, is to reheat leftover homemade macaroni and cheese in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it.
You can also use the air fryer at 350 degrees to reheat.
Mac And Cheese Add INs
- Add Bacon
- Bread Crumb Topping
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Add Smoked Shredded Pork
- Hot Sauce
- Colby Jack
- Dijon Mustard
Other Recipes To Check Out
- Easy Dessert Recipes
- Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners
- Comforting Winter Soup
- Tater Tot Casserole Recipes
- Recipes Using Coca-Cola
- Comforting Casserole Recipes
- No Bake Dessert Recipes
- Potato Salad Recipes
- Breakfast Casseroles
- Pasta Salad Recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Recipes
- Ground Beef Beef Recipes
- Crockpot Tailgating Recipes
- Crockpot Soup Recipes
- Super Easy Ground Beef Recipes
Homemade Macaroni And Cheese Recipe
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Start a pot boiling with water and prepare the box of pasta according to the box.
- Cube your cream cheese.
- In two mixing bowls, shred and split your cheese in half.
- Drain the pasta when done cooking, and leave it in the strainer to reuse the pot.
- In the pot, melt your butter and then whisk the four into the melted butter.
- Allow the flour and butter to cook until it is a thick mixture; this happens quickly.
- Next, whisk in the milk and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Be sure to allow the milk mixture to cook for about five more minutes until it is thick.
- Turn off the heat and carefully drop the cubed cream cheese.
- Stir in the salt and pepper until cream cheese is melted into the milk mixture.
- Slowly mix one bowl of shredded cheese into the cream sauce.
- Next, add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce mixture.
- Spray an aluminum 9 X 13 pan with a nonstick spray or baking pan,
- Spread the cheesy pasta into the sprayed pan.
- Top the noodles with the remaining shredded cheese and spread the cheese out onto the top of the pasta.
- Place in oven and cook for about an hour; the cheese will be bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!