Now my girls came home obsessed with the idea of a recipe they saw on tik tok, funeral potatoes, well low and behold when I looked I realized it was the same recipe for hashbrown casserole as this one. My mother has made this for years, but clearly, it had been too long because the girls had forgotten all about it. Now there is no wrong food to pair up with this, but it also makes for an amazing breakfast hashbrown casserole the next morning.
First posted in 2016 and updated in 2023
(I have included affiliate links to products I love. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.) In addition, this post contains affiliate links that will make me a small commission when used to order online.
This was a recipe that my mom was given by her mom, and I love when generational recipes become popular with the next generation. Now as a busy mom, this recipe is so fast to throw together and requires no prep work at all. The ingredients are also ones I have on hand at all times, and it’s one that almost fills up the teenage boy as well which is impressive.
Hash Brown Casserole Ingredients
- Frozen Hashbrown– I used southern hashbrowns to make mine but these can also be called frozen hashbrowns as diced potatoes or homestyle hashbrowns. If you use shredded hashbrowns it comes out similar to Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole.
- Cream of chicken soup– Cream of potato Soup would also work well in this casserole, but the cream of chicken will make it creamier. In a pinch, you can use cream of mushroom as well but it will change the flavoring.
- Sour cream
- Onion– You can substitute minced onion or onion powder in place of the fresh chopped onion. I used a white onion to make this but you could use a purple onion aka red onion or yellow onion it comes down to your family’s taste preference. The white this time was to match the color.
- Garlic Powder
- Cheddar cheese
How To Make Hash Brown Casserole
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Start out with a large bowl and mix together the hash browns, ½ cup of melted butter, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, chopped onion, salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese.
Spray the casserole dish with a non-stick spray.
Spread the hashbrown mixture from the large bowl into the casserole dish
On the stove, in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat sauté, the cornflakes into ¼ cup melted butter
Spread the cornflake topping over the hashbrown casserole mixture
Bake in the oven for about 1 hour.
What would you serve with this delicious hash brown casserole? Does your family have a go-to casserole?
How To Store Leftover Hashbrown Casserole
Now I prefer to cook my casseroles right in my 9X13 Pyrex dish because the lid makes storing leftovers easily. After cooling, you can store leftover hashbrown casserole for up to three days after making the dish in the fridge.
Reheat in the microwave or in the oven, my food critics in the house have said the cornflakes get a bit soggy but it has never stopped anyone from eating it.
Ingredient Substitutions and additions for Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- Diced Peppers– This with the addition of bacon will make this dish like Pioneer Woman Hashbrown casserole
- Bacon Crumbles
- Sausage Crumbles
- Diced Ham
- Steamed Broccoli
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Shredded Chicken
- Spinach Leaves
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Mexican Three Cheese
what To serve with Funeral Potatoes
- Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Fruit Salad
- Sausage Biscuit Rollups
- Crockpot Ham
- Oven Roasted Turkey
- Green Bean Casserole
- Oven Roasted Acorn Squash
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Garlic Bread
- Ranch Pork Chops
- Smoked Prime Rib
Other Recipes To Check Out
- Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners
- Comforting Winter Soup
- Tater Tot Casserole Recipes
- Recipes Using Coca-Cola
- Comforting Casserole Recipes
- No Bake Dessert Recipes
- Potato Salad Recipes
- Breakfast Casseroles
- Pasta Salad Recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Recipes
- Ground Beef Beef Recipes
- Crockpot Tailgating Recipes
- Crockpot Soup Recipes
- Super Easy Ground Beef Recipes
Hash Brown Casserole
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Start out with a large bowl and mix together the hash browns, ½ cup of melted butter, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, chopped onion, salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese.
- Spray the casserole dish with a non-stick spray
- Spread the mixture from the large bowl into the casserole dish
- On the stove in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat sauté the cornflakes in ¼ cup melted butter and spread over the top of the casserole mixture
- Bake in the oven for about 1 hour.