Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings recipe can be the ultimate comfort food. Making homemade dumplings is intimidating, but I love that refrigerated biscuits work well for this. (Plus, can we say time-saving?) Soup is one of those foods that we love during soccer season and even year-round.
(I have included affiliate links to products I love. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.) In addition, this post contains affiliate links that will make me a small commission when used to order online.
This easy chicken dumplings recipe is a weeknight dinner that the whole family will eat are a must. Often we are throwing together the finishing touches on dinner as we are getting ready to run out the door to soccer practice or a different school function. Slow cookers are often my saving grace in getting dinner on the table in the fall and year-round.
Chicken Dumpling Soup Ingredients
White Onion– You can use red onion or yellow onion. I had a white onion on hand, so that is what I used.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts– You can substitute with boneless skinless chicken thighs. You will need more thighs than the amount of breasts since they are smaller. The chicken thighs will make the soup greasier as well vs the chicken breasts.
You can use shredded cooked chicken (Crockpot shredded chicken is perfect) in place of raw chicken or you i have friends that have used rotisserie chicken. Shredded rotisserie chicken will lower the cook time so be sure to adjust.
Frozen Mixed Vegetables– Peas and carrots will work fine in this recipe, or you can use a more extensive mixed vegetable combination. Mine had peas, carrots, green beans, and kernel corn.
Refrigerated Biscuit Dough– Using canned biscuits in place of homemade dumplings makes for less prep time. You can use buttermilk biscuits, country biscuits, or homestyle biscuits; the grands will not work as well in this recipe.
How to make Easy Crockpot Chicken And Dumplings
Dice your onion; if your kids are picky, you can do more significant chunks to make it easy to pick out.
Spread the diced onion out in the bottom of the crockpot, then lay the chicken breasts on top.
In a small bowl, I used a Pyrex measuring glass and a spatula to combine the cream of chicken, potato, parsley, poultry seasoning, and pepper. I use the Pyrex measuring glass to make pouring everything into the crockpot easier.
Spread the mixture over the top of the chicken breasts. You can use a spatula to ensure everything spreads more evenly over the chicken breasts.
Next, pour the chicken broth over everything. You will not do any more mixing.
Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on low for 4 hours.
Use a rolling pin to flatten your biscuits. You can use a glass by rolling it or even your hand; I like how even the rolling pin is for this step.
Cut the flattened biscuits into four pieces, and do this to all 8 of the biscuits.
Add frozen vegetables to the crock pot and stir to make sure the vegetables get mixed in
Lay the cut-up biscuits along the top of the food in the crockpot, and recover the crockpot with the lid.
Allow cooking for about an hour, until the biscuits seems to be done to the consistency of dumplings. They will be doughy in consistency.
Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and shred them. You can do this with two forks, in a bowl with a mixer, or I used meat claws to do mine with.
Place the chicken back in the crockpot; this will break up the dumplings. That is fine. I kinda lifted mine with one spatula while I mixed chicken into the mixture; some of the dumplings will mix in no matter how careful you are.
Cook for 10 more minutes on low and serve.
What To Serve With crockpot chicken and dumpling soup
Now there is really nothing that you can serve with this but these are some of my families favorites! Roasted veetabels are always amazing with creamy soup.
- Oven Roasted Acorn Squash
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Biscuits– These are so to dip more into the soup.
- Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Fruit Salad
How To Store slow cooker chicken dumpling soup
Once your soup has cooled completely store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to five days after cooking. You can try to freeze this soup, but I never have because of the dumplings.
Other Recipes To Check Out
- Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners
- Comforting Winter Soup
- Tater Tot Casserole Recipes
- Recipes Using Coca-Cola
- Comforting Casserole Recipes
- No Bake Dessert Recipes
- Potato Salad Recipes
- Breakfast Casseroles
- Pasta Salad Recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Recipes
- Ground Beef Beef Recipes
- Crockpot Tailgating Recipes
- Crockpot Soup Recipes
- Super Easy Ground Beef Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken And Dumplings With Biscuits
- Dice your onion.
- Spray your crockpot with a non stick spray or line with a crockpot liner. I made this in my 8-quart crockpot, but it would also work in a 6 Quart Crockpot as well.
- Spread the diced onion out in the bottom of the crockpot and then lay the chicken breasts on top.
- In a small bowl, I used a pyrex measuring glass, combine together the cream of chicken, cream of potato, parsely, poultry seasoning, and pepper.
- Spread the mixture over the top of the chicken breasts.
- Pour the chicken broth over everything and cook on low for 4 hour hours.
- Using a rolling pin flatten your biscuits.
- Cut the flattened biscuits into four pieces, and do this to all 8.
- Add frozen vegetables to the crock pot and stir.
- Lay the cut up biscuits along the top of the food in the crockpot, and recover.
- Allow to cook for about an hour.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and shred.
- Place the chicken back in the crockpot, this will break up the dumplings.
- Cook for 10 more minute and serve.