Easy Crock Pot Hamburger Stew Recipe is one of those easy fall and winter crockpot meals. Now it’s no secret like most other moms; I love easy dinner recipes! Slow Cooker Beef Stew is one of my family’s favorites, but with braces, the meat is too tough for them to chew.
(I have included affiliate links to products I love. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.) In addition, this post contains affiliate links that will make me a small commission when used to order online.
We searched around on Pinterest and found some Hamburger Stew ideas, but I took inspiration from The Magical Slow Cooker to create this dinner. I love that it only takes a couple of minutes to throw the ingredients together and get it cooking; the result was amazing!
The first time I made this was in 2015, and am republishing it in 2022. It has not been a disappointment, and we have even started to call it Poor Man’s Stew since it’s so budget-friendly and a hearty meal with simple ingredients. After making Hamburger Soup this was a sure bet for the kids to eat! (Grab the recipe -> Stove Top Hamuber Soup)
You could easily change the meat to make it more like a slow-cooker beef stew recipe or a traditional beef stew recipe. Sometimes finding expensive cuts of beef on sale at the grocery store can make comfort food and easy recipes. Stew meat, Ground Turkey, chuck roast, or lean ground meat can be interchanged and have just as much flavor, there is no best meat.
Crock Pot Hamburger Stew Recipe Ingredients:
- Ground Hamburger
- Onion– These will be chopped, I tend to cut my large so kids can pick them out. Minced onion or onion powder can be used instead of regular onion.
- Carrots– I use baby carrots and cut them up into smaller pieces.
- Cubed Potatoes-I used russet potatoes when I made this but gold potatoes, baby potatoes, or red potatoes to make this.
- Minced Garlic
- Tomato Paste
- Black Pepper
how to make hamburger stew in a crock pot
Brown the ground beef in a large skillet on medium-high heat; you can also use lean ground beef. Strain the grease off the meat to remove excess fat, and set the cooked hamburger meat aside while you prep everything else. (I love pulling mine out of the freezer pre-browned see -> here for tips on how to do it)
Prep all your veggies; start by peeling and chopping potatoes, onions, and carrots. I did have a girlfriend say that sweet potato would be good in this. I favor yellow potatoes, russet potatoes, or baby potatoes. Baby carrots work easiest for this recipe.
I sprayed my crockpot with a non-stick spray, you can choose to skip this step if you’d like! If you want, you can also use Slow Cooker Liners.
Combine the beef, carrots, onion, potatoes, and garlic in the crockpot. I place the potatoes on the bottom of the crock so they will cook more with the most direct access to heat.
In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. This is the water, tomato paste, and beef stew seasoning you are using.
Pour the water mixture over the beef mixture contents of the slow cooker and cover it with a lid.
Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or until done. The cooking time will vary so the liquid level for the potatoes to cook all the way. If it gets low before the stew is done cooking, add some more!
Serve with bread bowls or bread, this is perfect for a cold night.
What is your favorite stew recipe? Do you have a go-to stew recipe for the winter months?
What to serve with crockpot hamburger stew
No wrong answer on what to serve with this dish! Pick out side dishes your family ikes or just serve it alone.
How To store hamburger stew slow cooker
Allow the stew to cool completely and store in the fridge for up to five days. You can freeze this in an air-tight container for up to ninety days.
Storing leftovers properly requires the right tools! My preferred storage method is if the leftovers can be sealed in a food saver. If not, then an air-tight container or Ziploc bag for the fridge is the way I go. The air-tight container and a freezer Ziploc bag are the next best bet for freezing the leftovers. I also use a food scale to measure portions into serving sizes.
Alternative Ingredients To Put In Crock Pot Hamburger Stew:
Now just like crockpot beef stew, you can make many variations of hamburger stew crock pot. It is fun to change it up to make a great recipe every time or just the next time.
- Green Beans
- Corn Kernels
- Diced Tomatoes
- Beef Broth
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Tomato Soup
- Soy Sauce
- Tomato sauce
- Red Wine
- Beef Stock
- Chicken Broth
- Bay Leaves
- Frozen Peas
- Yellow Onion
OTHER Easy STEW RECIPES TO TRY OUT:
ground beef crock pot recipes
There are nights that crockpot ground beef recipes save dinner time!! Easy Weeknight Ground beef dinners are always a huge hit with all my teens and they make weeknight dinners easy to make and fuel the family as well! Plus they tend to be budget-friendly as well.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes:
My crockpot is my favorite way to cook! You can see all my -> Crockpot recipes; the ones below are some of my family’s favorites.
- Crockpot Lasagna Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup In The Crockpot
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken
- Crockpot Cube Steak
Crock Pot Hamburger Stew
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet on medium-high heat, you can also use lean ground beef.
- Prep all your veggies; start out by peeling and chopping potatoes, onions, and carrots.
- I sprayed my crockpot with a non-stick spray, you can choose to skip this step if you’d like!
- Combine the beef, carrots, onion, potatoes, and garlic in the crockpot. I place the potatoes on the bottom of the crock so they will cook more with the most direct access to heat.
- In a large bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients. This is the water, tomato paste, and beef stew seasoning that you are using.
- Pour the water mixture over the beef mixture contents of the slow cooker and cover it with a lid.
- Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours of cook time or until done.
- Serve with bread bowls or bread, this is perfect for a cold night.