Can I say one of the perks of the kids getting older is when they learn to cook? Biscuit Meatball Casserole is the perfect easy weeknight dinner for the kids to be in the kitchen making on their own and learning from. My son has been obsessed with meatballs lately, so this was the perfect recipe for him to make.
(I have included affiliate links to products I love. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.) In addition, this post contains affiliate links that will make me a small commission when used to order online.
First posted in 2016 and updated in 2023
While they are learning more, I still get nervous about it. Michael has been making it a point to make the family dinner once a week, which is nice with our busy weeknights. Now I like easy casseroles, so it was the logical place for me to have him start. He makes a mean tater tot casserole fan, so a meatball casserole was a good one for him to make next.
Biscuit Meatball Casserole Ingredients:
- Meatballs– You can use mini or regular meatballs; this comes down to personal preference. You could also use turkey meatballs or chicken meatballs; we did a frozen sausage Italian meatball. Or you can also make your own Homemade Meatballs.
- Pasta Sauce– I used regular ragu sauce, but you can use a homemade tomato sauce or one with extras.
- Shredded Cheese– I used a Mexican Cheese blend, but you can use mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese.
- Frozen Biscuits– If you use fresh biscuits, you will need to adjust the baking time and temperature.
How To Make Biscuit Meatball Casserole:
Preheat your oven to the temperature on the package of your meatballs.
Place meatballs while they are frozen on a cookie sheet spread out on parchment paper. We used Italian style meatballs since we were adding pasta sauce.
Bake the meatballs according to the directions on the package, or make and back your meatballs. (Check out my Homemade Meatballs if you want to make your own)
In the last five minutes, the meatballs cook and prepare the casserole pan.
Spray your pan with a nonstick cooking spray; heat oven to 350 degrees when the meatballs are done.
Once the meatballs are done cooking, cover the bottom of your casserole dish or pans with the meatballs.
Cover meatballs with spaghetti sauce and then sprinkle with cheese to taste.
Place the frozen biscuits on top of the meatballs in the casserole to cover the meatball and sauce.
Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees, and check the biscuits to ensure they are done. The top of the biscuit will turn a golden brown.
While it’s not pretty, the kids devoured this and loved it!!
How To Store Leftover Meatball Casserole
If your dish has a lid, use it and store it as is. If not, move the leftover casserole into an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to three days. You could cover it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, but I prefer a tighter seal.
I wouldn’t freeze the cooked biscuits from the casserole.
Alternative Ingredients For Meatball Biscuit Casserole
You can mix almost anything you want into this meatball casserole that you want. I went for basic and simple, and it was still a hit with the whole family.
- Italian Seasoning
- Parmesan Cheese
- Bell Peppers
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Parsley
What To Serve With meatball Casserole
- Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Acorn Squash
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Loaded Beans
- Air Fryer Potatoes
- Kale Salad
- Garlic Bread
- Green Salad
- Vegetable Stir Fry
More Delicious Meatball Recipes
Instant Pot Meatballs and Pasta – Perfect frugal weeknight dinners for those with busy schedules and a tight budget. Just dump in all the ingredients and let it cook for a perfect weeknight dinner that requires no effort at all. Get the recipe ->here!
kid-friendly casserole recipes
Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole-An easy breakfast casserole to throw together. The tater tots add amazing flavor to the casserole, making prepping the dinner easy.
Chicken Parmesan Bake– Use shredded chicken with egg noodles and pasta sauce to make this fantastic casserole for dinner.
Taco Twist– Leftover beef taco meat is fantastic in this! Add pasta, sauce, cheese, and Doritos for this excellent dinner!
What is your favorite thing to make with meatballs?
Biscuit Meatball Casserole
- Place the frozen meatballs on a cookie sheet spread out on parchment paper.
- Bake the meatballs according to the directions on the package or make and back your own meatballs.
- In the last five minutes, the meatballs are cooking start to prepare the casserole pan.
- Spray your pan with a nonstick spray, when the meatballs are done set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover meatballs with spaghetti sauce and then sprinkle with cheese to taste.
- Place the frozen biscuits on top of the meatballs in the casserole to cover the meatball and sauce.