This Easy Chicken Stove Top Casserole Recipe is a long-time family favorite and the ultimate comfort food! This is the perfect easy dinner recipe and the perfect meal for busy weeknights in the fall! Simple ingredients tie together this amazing easy chicken casserole the whole family will love.
(I have included affiliate links to products I love. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.) In addition, this post contains affiliate links that will make me a small commission when used to order online.
I have been making this stovetop chicken casserole since 2009 for my family and friends and it is always a hit! This uses pantry essentials that almost everyone always has on hand. Older kids can make this easy recipe with little adult supervision as well.
I love that this works out to be a recipe the family loves, and one that won’t break my Weight Watcher points budget. One of my favorite things about WW is that the plan is everyday food! And food that my kids will eat as well.
WHAT IS Weight Watchers?
When starting a new weight loss program or diet change, consult a doctor or physician about personal health concerns. It is a good idea to have blood sugar levels, blood pressure, and hormones checked at a physical before and during being on the WW program.
New to Weight Watchers?? Also known as WW, a weight loss program uses points assigned to food to track and lose weight. When you sign up, you take an assessment that will assign you a point value to eat daily and a weekly allowance. You can carry over 4 points from the day into your weekly budget, which is handy when you need more points.
I have been on Weight Watchers since 2011. They have had Points Plus Value, WW Smartpoints, Blue Plan, Green Plan, Purple Plan, WW Personal Points, and now Weight Watchers Points. The new Weight Watchers Simplified plan is the new program launched in November 2022, similar to previous plans like WW Smartpoints, with some color plans. ( You can see the Weight Watchers Zero Point Foods 2023 -> here)
No matter the WW plan, they work to help you learn healthy eating habits. I have hit lifetime goal weight several times but stopped operating the plan and tracking, so the weight does creep back on.
Right now you can head on over -> here and sign up for WW for $10 a month for your first six months.
Easy Chicken Stove Top Casserole Ingredients:
- Stove Top Turkey -You can use any version of the stuffing mixture, I tend to always have turkey on hand due to holidays. Chicken stove top is my second go-to for this dish.
- Shredded Cheese – I tend to use cheddar cheese for this or a Mexican three cheese when I make this casserole.
- Hot Water
- Milk– I used 2% milk when I make mine.
- Cream of Chicken– You can use Cream of Mushroom Soup or Cream of Celery Soup in this but I prefer the Cream of Chicken Soup as it makes for a creamy sauce for the casserole. You can also use a homemade cream of chicken soup to make this as well.
- Shredded Chicken Breast– You can totally use leftover chicken breast from grilling or smoking or leftover Thanksgiving Turkey. You can use chicken broth and boneless skinless chicken breast, see -> here for more details.
How To Make Shredded Chicken
If you don’t have leftover chicken you can easily make shredded chicken in your crock pot. It turns out similar to rotisserie chicken to be used in the casserole. See –>Crockpot Shredded Chicken for more in-depth directions and full steps on making shredded chicken.
- Spray your crockpot with a nonstick spray or line it with a crockpot liner.
- Place your raw chicken into the bottom of the crockpot.
- Pour 4 cups of chicken broth onto the top of the chicken.
- Add a Teaspoon of Minced Garlic and allow to slow cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. If cooking on medium or high heat, the cooking time will be faster.
- Remove the cooked chicken breast and ensure the chicken is fully cooked to an internal temperature of 165.
- Use an electric mixer or meat claws to shred the chicken.
How To Make Stove Top Chicken Casserole:
If you need to cook and shred your chicken, it should be warm from being cooked. If using leftovers shred your chicken or turkey for this recipe, and then reheat the meat so it is warm. You will want one pound of chicken
Spray your casserole dish with a nonstick spray and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. I used a Pyrex 2 Quart oval because the lid made it perfect for storing the leftovers.
Place chicken after is it shredded into the bottom of the casserole pan.
In a separate bowl mix together 1 2/3 cups of hot water and the entire contents of the Stove Top box so it’s moistened. Let it sit while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
Important Note-You do not need the Tablespoons of butter listed on the box, but you could add melted butter, but it will add calories.
In a separate bowl mix together well the 1/3 cup milk, can of cream of chicken, and cheese.
Spread the cheese soup mixture over the top of the chicken. I use a spatula to do this because you can smooth out the mixture.
Spread the Stove Top Stuffing Mix over the top of the chicken and soup mixture.
Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on your preferred crunchiness of the Stove Top.
This casserole is baked uncovered in the casserole dish.
Remove and serve your chicken stuffing bake! This will be one of your family’s favorite recipes, even picky eaters have been known to love this.
Only 8 Weight Watchers Points per serving on the Weight Watchers plan! Now you can reduce the points by using reduced-fat cream of chicken, low-fat milk, and reduced-fat cheese but I choose to use full fat on those products! As with any recipe be sure to plug your recipe on your own and verify the point values based on your brands.
What To Serve With Chicken Stuffing Casserole
Now I love to pair this up with zero-point vegetables or a low-point salad with this chicken and stove top casserole. The kids love the majority zero point vegetables as well, and most pair well to make for an easy meal.
- Green beans
- Kernel Corns
- Oven Roasted Cheesy Asparagus
- Ceasar Salad
- Fruit Salad
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
How To Store Leftover Stuffing Casserole
- Store in the fridge in an air-tight container for 3-4 days.
- I have not ever tried to freeze leftovers as they disappear the next day from everyone eating them.
What is your go-to Stove Top Stuffing Casserole recipe?
First posted in 2017 and updated 11/2022
Weight Watcher Collections To Checkout
Are you looking for Zero Point food ideas? Check out this list -> here of all the Zero Weight Watchers points food.
These are easy Weight Watchers recipes made in my kitchen; most are kid-approved. Click on the name to be taken to them.
- Weight Watchers Instant Pot Recipes
- Delicious Low Point Soups
- Dinners For The Family
- Best Weight Watchers Cereals
- Air Fryer Recipes
- Best Weight Watchers Tortillas
- Chicken Dinners
- Best Store-Bought Weight Watchers Salad Dressings
- Dessert Recipes
- Pumpkin Recipes
- Brownie Recipes
- Casserole Recipes
- Weight Watcher Muffins
- Breakfast Recipes
- Weight Watchers Pizzas
- Weight Watchers Grilling
Stove Top Chicken Casserole Recipe
- If you need to cook and shred your chicken, it should be warm from being cooked.
- Place chicken after is it shredded into the bottom of the casserole pan.
- Place chicken after is it shredded into the bottom of the casserole pan.In a separate bowl mix together 1 2/3 cups of hot water and the entire contents of the Stove Top box so it’s moistens and let sit while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mix together well the 1/3 cup milk, can of cream of chicken, and cheese.
- Spread the cheese soup mixture over the top of the chicken, I use a spatula to do this because you can smooth out the mixture.
- Spread the Stove Top Stuffing Mix over the top of the chicken and soup mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on your preferred crunchiness of the Stove Top.
- Remove and serve your chicken stuffing bake!