This Slow Cooker Grape Jelly Meatballs Recipe is a family favorite with simple ingredients to complement almost any main dish! The best part is with only three ingredients, this is one of our go-to easy appetizers to make for holiday get-togethers or tailgating parties. As a bonus, these are always a hit with the kids at the get-together, and almost always the favorite appetizer.
(I have included affiliate links to products I love. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.) In addition, this post contains affiliate links that will make me a small commission when used to order online.
When planning gatherings, simple dump-and-cook recipes are my go-to. Everyone is always shocked that the secret ingredient in these slow cooker meatballs is grape jelly paired with barbecue sauce! It only takes minutes of prep time when using store-bought meatballs instead of homemade meatballs. But as odd as meatballs with grape jelly and bbq sauce sound, they are amazing!
Slow Cooker grape jelly meatballs Ingredients:
- Mini Meatballs-For this, the best-frozen meatballs are mini or cocktail meatballs; they work out perfectly on toothpicks and are tender meatballs cooked in the crock pot. You could make mini meatballs at home to fit this in, but grocery stores have good meatballs that don’t require much work.
- Bbq Sauce- A spicy sauce for bbq could be used on this, but when serving kids, honey bbq sauce or plain bbq sauce makes this a great family recipe; you could do a batch of half each.
- Sweet Grape Jelly-Red currant and apple jelly are substitutes if you don’t have grape jelly sauce. Combining grape jelly with bbq sauce is the best for this slow cooker recipe.
how to make meatballs with grape jelly and bbq sauce
Spray your slow cooker with a nonstick spray or line with a crockpot bag. I did use a smaller 4-quart crockpot to make this, you can use a larger crockpot to make this easy recipe but the cooking time will change.
Mix your grape jelly and bbq sauce in the crock pot.
After the jelly and bbq sauce are mixed, mix in your frozen meatballs or your own meatballs if you are doing homemade.
Start the crockpot on either a low heat or medium heat.
I set a timer for 30 minutes to stir the crockpot and then a time for an hour later. I did stir the crockpot while cooking to help keep the sugar from burning and sticking to the edges of the crock.
*If you are using raw meatballs that are homemade, the cooking time will differ on this*
Cook until done; for the frozen meatballs on low, my cook time was about 4 1/2 hours.
Be sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure they have cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
Serve!!! We ate ours on toothpicks was a huge hit.
What perfect appetizer do you make for your family and friends at get-togethers?
How To Store LEftover Grape Jelly Meatballs:
- Leftover crockpot grape jelly meatballs can be frozen into a freezer bag. Pour extra sauce from the crock on top of the meatballs before storage.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container. Pour extra sauce from the crock on top of the meatballs before storage.
To reheat leftover meatballs, you can do so in a crockpot or a microwave on medium-low heat.
Storing leftovers properly requires the right tools! My preferred storage method is if the leftovers can be sealed in a food saver. If not, then an air-tight container or Ziploc bag for the fridge is the way I go. The air-tight container and a freezer Ziploc bag are the next best bet for freezing the leftovers. I also use a food scale to measure portions into serving sizes.
What To Serve With Grape Jelly Meatballs
As a main dish in a meatball sandwich, over mashed potatoes, or with white rice for a simple dinner using savory meatballs.
Alongside other Crockpot Tailgating recipes, it is a superb stand-alone dish that goes alongside anything else for tailgating or parties!
OTHER ADD-INS FOR Grape Jelly Meatball Recipe:
- Chili Paste
- Sweet Chili Sauce or Heinz Chili Sauce
- Apple Jelly
- Cranberry Sauce
- Sweet Jelly
- Smoked Kielbasa
More Delicious Meatball Recipes
Instant Pot Meatballs and Pasta – Perfect frugal weeknight dinners for those with busy schedules and a tight budget. Just dump in all the ingredients and let it cook for a perfect weeknight dinner that requires no effort at all. Get the recipe ->here!
Slow Cooker Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Spray your slow cooker with a nonstick spray or line with a crockpot bag.
- Put in your grape jelly and your bbq sauce in the crock pot and mix it together.
- After the jelly and bbq sauce are mixed, mix in your frozen meatballs or your own meatballs if you are doing homemade.
- Then put in your meat balls and stir it all together
- Turn the crockpot on low heat or medium heat will work as well.
- I set a timer for 30 minutes to stir the crockpot and then a time for an hour later. Stirring while cooking helps to keep the sugar from burning and sticking to the edges of the crock.
- Cook until done, for the frozen meatballs on low my cook time was about 4 1/2 hours.
- Be sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure they have cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
- Serve!!! We ate ours on toothpicks was a huge hit.