How To Make Colored Popcorn For Family Movie Nights! It sounds scary, doesn’t it?? But really this is so easy and the kids have a blast helping out!! We love to have family movie nights, and popcorn is always a hit with the kids. I have fallen in love with making sweet popcorn treats at home.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Walmart Family Mobile. All opinions are mine alone. #AngryForSavings #CollectiveBias (I have included affiliate links to products I love. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.)
It seems to be rare that we are all together. With three kids, their school schedules, soccer, homework, and working, we don’t often get to spend a quiet evening at home!! Thankfully, soccer practice was canceled this past week because of Michael’s tournament so I had a night with all three kids at home.
One of our favorite things to do is to have a family movie night. The kids love to pop their own popcorn and lately we have fallen in love with finding new ways to make popcorn besides just adding butter. Now one of my favorite mom hacks is the movie night tray! Each kid gets their own full of their own treats! (see more -> here)
Colored Popcorn Ingredients:
- White vanilla almond bark– You can use other flavors, but I find the white takes the color and shows the best.
- Food coloring
I love that you can order so many different groceries on Amazon!!! It sure beats having to run to the store, especially with the way we all lead crazy busy lives! You can order now to have all this on hand for movie night!!
How To Make Colored Popcorn:
Pop your popcorn. I used an air popper and made sure to not grab any unpopped kernels from the bottom of the bowl.
Create a double burner by putting a glass measuring cup inside a small saucepan with boiling water.
Melt your almond bark in the measuring cup, making sure to keep the melting consistent.
Avoid getting any water in your almond bark or it will seize.
Making a double burner is so much easier than you would think, plus you can make any size batch as well. I think there is no such thing as too many Pyrex measuring cups, my personal favorite is the 8-cup, but I have several different sizes.!!
In a large mixing bowl, place your popped popcorn in it.
Quickly mix the bark with food coloring, while still in the double burner.
Pour/spread the mixture over the top of your popcorn. The food coloring will cause the bark to seize a bit and get thick, but you can still spread it around the popcorn.
Spread the popcorn out on a wax-lined cookie sheet, so the bark can set and harden a bit.
Serve!!! (Don’t be afraid to sample immediately! It’s really tasty and warm too!)
The kids loved the trays and had a blast watching the movie! Each picked their own tray, which had a color that matched their favorite character from the movie! We will be using these again for movie night. As a mom, I love that it controlled how much of the snacks they were having.
What is your favorite homemade popcorn recipe?
Other Homemade Popcorn Recipes:
- Colored Popcorn
- Cookies And Cream Popcorn
- Valentine’s Day Popcorn
- Halloween Popcorn
- Red Hot Popcorn
- Salted Caramel Popcorn
Movie Night Popcorn Trays Supplies
Head on over -> here to see all my tips on making movie night popcorn trays.
CANDY IDEAS FOR MOVIE NIGHT TRAY:
How To Make Colored Popcorn
- Pop your popcorn. I used an air popper and made sure to not grab any unpopped kernels from the bottom of the bowl.
- Create a double burner by putting a glass measuring cup inside a small pan with boiling water. Melt your almond bark in the measuring cup, making sure to keep the melting consistent. Also, avoid getting any water in your almond bark or it will seize.
- In a bowl, place your popcorn. Quickly mix the bark with food coloring, while still in the double burner, then spread the mixture over your popcorn. The food coloring will cause the bark to seize a bit and get thick, but you can still spread it around the popcorn.
- Spread the popcorn on a wax-lined cookie sheet, so the bark can set and harden a bit.
- Serve!!! (Don't be afraid to sample immediately! It's really tasty warm too!)
Disclaimer: All prices for phones and plans included in this post are accurate as of the date of posting; however, these prices are subject to change. Please refer to your local Walmart for current pricing.