I swear until I became a mom I never noticed how smelly a bathroom can get! All of our bathrooms are in rooms with no windows that open in our house. Thankfully there are some frugal ways to help prevent these bathroom smells and and keep your bathroom smelling clean and fresh.
Tips to Avoid Bathroom Smells:
- Circulate The Air- If you have an overhead fan, turn it on or open a window so that the fresh air circulates. Since my bathrooms have no windows I will put a box fan to blow air out and also flip it around to push air out. Be sure to leave the door to the bathroom open too for normal air circulation as well.
- Hang Towels Out- After using towels, you don’t want them to get a musty and stale smell. So be sure to hang them up with plenty of room to air out. You never want to hang several towels together nor do you want to hang them in back of the door on a hook. Instead, you should get a rack to hang the towels on so they are able to dry faster.
- Freshen Your Fabrics- Fabrics can get musty smelling when they are susceptible to a moist environment like the bathroom. You want to be sure you wash hand towels and washcloths once a week. Be sure to pay attention to your bathing towels as well for how often you wash them. You should also wash the bathroom rugs and mats you may have.
- Close The Shower Curtain- After you are done taking a shower, pull the shower curtain closed. This will allow the air to get into the folds of the curtain so that it will dry faster. It will also help to ensure that mold and mildew won’t grow on the curtain.
- Add A Fresh Scent- Using air fresheners or odor neutralizers will help to keep the air in the room fresh smelling, as well as help to get rid of musty odors.
- Rid The Toilet Bowl Of Odors- The most important step you can take to get rid of toilet bowl odors is to clean it on a regular basis. You want to be sure you are not just cleaning the toilet bowl itself but also cleaning under the tank, around the sides, and front of the toilet. Plus be sure to check the floor around the toilet, I’ll just say this is crucial with boys. I also remove the seat of my toilet and scrub under it as well.
What do you do to keep your toilet smelling fresh?