If you’ve been looking around your house are convinced that you are the world’s worst housekeeper, you’re not the only one. There are a ton of people for whom keeping everything tidy is a challenge, while cleaning comes naturally to some people. They seem to float through it like good fairies, waving their wands, and magically everything is done. You never see anything out of place in their homes, and you always wonder how they do it. For the rest of us, housecleaning is an uphill battle to maintain. (I have included links to some great products that I have bought on my own and love. You can buy them as well through my online sales links).
Even if you’re not the world’s best housekeeper, that doesn’t mean you can’t still get lots of good things done around the house. Start with these easy ways to get your house in order. Before you know it, the house will be looking incredible and you will feel amazing. Plus one thing I have learned over the years if I start with a fresh clean house it is SO MUCH easier to keep up on top of!!
Easy Ways To Get Your House In Order:
1. Make a list- I make a list of everything I want to accomplish in each room of the house. I have even done a page per room to make sure I didn’t forget any of my goals for that room!! And let’s face it the sense of accomplishment is even bigger when you can cross things off a list!
2. Take it one room at a time – When you are hoping to accomplish a large task, it helps a lot if you break it down into little chunks. So when you’re looking at the house saying “ I really need to get this in order” it is easy to get overwhelmed and do something else instead. Pick one room in the house, and start there, even easier when you have the list ready to go. The mess in the other places isn’t going anywhere, trust me.
3. Clear the floor first – One of the easiest ways to make the room look much better quickly is to clear the floor of anything except for the things that should be there. Pick up all of the toys and put them in a basket. Move anything that doesn’t belong to the right place. If you have to leave the room for this, please resist the urge to do “just one thing” in the others. That way leads to you getting distracted from the one room task.
4. Grab a basket for storing miscellaneous stuff – Everyone has random items and junk floating around the house that they’re not quite certain about. Where DID that button come from? Where is the other earring to the set? Don’t be afraid to grab a basket just for those type of items to keep you in the room you’re focusing on – also, don’t be afraid to part with those items once and for all.
5. Keep a trash can in every room – This may seem to be counterproductive since you’ll have more trash cans to empty out, but keeping a trash can in every room is a great way to keep your room looking tidy at all times. There will be a place for scrap paper, empty water bottle,s and what not to help keep them from littering the surfaces of your home. I know my kids are famous for “I was gonna throw it away later.”
6. Declutter your dresser/table/countertop – Lots of families have piles of stuff scattered across the tabletops, dressers, and counters of their homes. This is a great way to make everything look like a jumbled mess. Consider some colorful baskets to help keep everything in its place.
7. Stash cleaning wipes everywhere – Just like the trashcans, it may seem counterproductive, but when you have a bunch of little spills, having a quick way to wipe it up is pretty handy. Having easy access to cleaning supplies can go a long way, especially if you have kids in the house!
8. If you haven’t used it in a year, get rid of it – One of the hardest things to do is to know when it is time to get rid of something. It always feels like we are going to need our stuff later, or that we should hold onto it just in case. Guess what? You are going to be buried in stuff if you don’t get rid of it soon. Be sure to check out my tips on Decluttering your Clothes -> here!! The backward hanger trick is my favorite!
9. Vacuum thoroughly -This always feels like a never-ending task, but if you are going with one room at a time, I promise it won’t be as bad as it seems. Take your time in high traffic areas, and don’t be afraid to vacuum the furniture too. I like to use carpet powder to give the room a nice fresh clean smell too!
Arm & Hammer Pet Fresh Carpet Odor Eliminator Plus Oxi Clean Dirt Fighters (Pack of 3)Glade Carpet & Room, Clean Linen, 32-Ounce (Pack of 6)Arm & Hammer Extra Strength Carpet Odor Eliminator Plus Oxi Clean Dirt Fighters – 2 Boxes, 18oz ea
10. Get new storage – As our needs in everyday life change, so do our storage needs. Examine the way you’re storing things around your home and decide if it is serving your needs the way it should. If you can never find anything and nothing is ever put away, chances are the current storage system you have is NOT working.
11. Find a cleaning routine – Nobody can tell you what day of the week or what room to begin cleaning in your home, but whatever you do, find a cleaning routine. It is impossible to keep a house in tip-top order without one. If you do nothing else on this list, go out and get a routine and stick with it.
The Complete Book of Clean: Tips & Techniques for Your HomeHome Organizing: Simple Solutions For Cleaning, Decluttering and Organizing Your HomeReal Life Organizing: Clean and Clutter-Free in 15 Minutes a Day
Getting your house in tip-top order may not be easy, but once you are there you’re going to be glad you did. Before you know it, everything is going to be tidy and clean.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- Easy Hawaiian Roll Sliders!! Plus Sweepstakes and Giveaway! - June 18, 2018
- Free Printable Chore Charts!! Perfect For Kids! - June 13, 2018
- Tips For Preparing For Free Camping! - June 12, 2018