There is no way to avoid it! At least three to four times a year I have to go thru and spend time decluttering our clothes. It never fails the seasons change, the kids grow, or we just end up with too many clothes for the kids. (I have included affiliate links to products I love. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. )
Now one of my favorite “secrets” of decluttering clothes is the hanger trick!! I found a pin back in December of 2012 that offered the tip to turn the hangers around!! Can I just say this was an eye opener as to how much my kids don’t wear!! We ended up being able to do a purge early due to this for my daughter who was a girl Girl Scout Brownie at the time and was doing a clothing and food drive!!
My Decluttering Clothes Criteria Hanging And In The Dresser:
- Does it fit- Yes I make my kids being the room when I have narrowed down so I can see them fit in clothes or not. Makes it easier than second guessing it.
- Is it coming up in the season- I run into this the most with shorts, coats, etc. Most our weather is the same year round but we do have some snow gear and such on hand. Has to also fall into the does it fit as well.
- Was there not an event to wear it- Now while I don’t have to dress up often I do keep my dresses in a Rubbermaid with other special wear so I am not rebuying but I do know what I have before needing to buy something.
- Did I get an item to replace it- This happens a lot with clothes we rarely wear, it’s important to remove and lay out everything.
- Do I have enough of this type of item- Socks is a big one for my kids or even just pajamas, I don’t’ know how my kids end up with so many pairs every year.
- Why is the hanger still backward- Yup sometimes after a couple months the clothing is still not worn which means time to decide if it needs to go.
How we sorted our Decluttered clothes:
- Pass along to nieces/nephews or friends with kids that size
- Packed up Kylie’s clothes to keep for Bella that we still wanted
- Donation box
- Pack for next season (Winter coats, gloves, etc)
- The never should be seen by light was made into painting rags
- Shoes in good shape went to the free clothing store
Now if only decluttering toys was as easy as the hangers!!! What are your tips for decluttering clothes?
Decluttering: 25 Amazing Tips to Declutter Your HomeThe Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and OrganizingDeclutter: SUPER Practical Guide to Organize and Clear Your: Mind, Home, Relationships, Digital Life And More
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- Perfect Camping Griddle Breakfast Skillet - April 19, 2019
- 3 Tools Not To Forget When Going Camping - April 18, 2019
- Why You Need Armogear Laser Battle For Your Kids!! - April 16, 2019